Rafael Nadal withdraws from French Open due to injury
Tennis legend Rafael Nadal pulled out of the French Open due to a hip injury that has sidelined him from the game since January. Nadal also said that he expects 2024 to be the final season of his career.
Nadal, who is the owner of a record 14 championships at the clay-court Grand Slam tournament, will miss it for the first time. He made his debut in the tournament in 2005.
Speaking to reporters in Manacor of Spain, Nadal said that he does not want to set a date for his return to the tennis tour, but expects it to take months but cleared his intention to retire next year.
The French Open begins at Roland Garros in Paris on May 28. Nadal holds an unmatchable record from his 18 appearances at the French Open. When Nadal won the trophy last year at age 36 while dealing with chronic foot pain, he became the oldest champion in tournament history.